Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Memories

This is something I found today while rooting through old word files... I wrote it 24 days after officially starting my relationship with J. and it is probably the cutest and most sincere documents I have about new love. :) Enjoy.


There is something about falling in love.
It’s incredibly terrifying to face new insecurities. You want to ask them, beg them to tell you what their opinion is of all of your own fears about yourself. Even if it’s bad, you just want to know. But when they tell you that they don’t mind, even love, something you thought you were ashamed of, it only makes you like them more. How can we not, as humans? It’s our condition to want to be loved. We think we don’t fit in, and somebody comes around that finally shows us how our puzzle piece slips into place.

And everything you notice about that person, every new little thing… The way their hair falls. The color of their eyes. The shape of their face. The feel of their lips against yours. Their hand in yours, your hand in theirs. The way their arms feel wrapped around you. Their ticklish spots that nobody else knows about. The sound of their voice, their laugh, their whisper. Everything new presents one with this incredible breath of fresh air that can be overwhelming, like how taking too many deep breaths of oxygen can make you feel dizzy. But besides that dizzying, disorientation called getting to know someone, there is an amazing feeling that not only lets you experience another person as intimately as you may experience yourself, but also allows you to feel the amazing diversity of the world wrapped up in this new little package of happiness and wonder.

There is also the ever-present uncertainty in new and developing love. “Are they going to call me? Should I call them first? What if they don’t want to talk to me? Am I over-thinking this?” But this uncertainty, this is simple and shallow compared to the uncertainty of the first use of the word love. Oh, does anybody in the universe ever feel confident in their first utterance of “I love you”? I suppose there are some cases, but I haven’t experienced that ever, not yet.

No, what I am experiencing is this pull, this total desire at times, when he is sad or remembering painful memories, or when he is happy, giddy even, with playfulness and excitement, or when he stares into my eyes for hours and it’s like he’s the first one to see all of me and truly accept and want all of what he sees. It bubbles in my throat, pricks at my tongue and nags at my vocal chords, my lips. “I love you, I love you, I love you”. But do I? What IS love? I feel that I’m certainly on my way to something truly special with this man. But are we there yet? In the middle of a deep talk, or when he tells me something personal… When kissing him, just kissing him, is all I need, all I want, and the most breathtaking and whole thing I have felt in so long… When he, the silent type, says something incredibly touching, looking me right in the eyes… When he holds me, and I feel like the world is a little more empty when he’s no longer there… When his shirt, huge on me, but not smelling at all like him is still a comfort to me just because it’s his… All of those moments, I feel in love. That is, if in love is when you need the other person as a constant in your life as common as food or water. If love is when you can’t bear the thought of them lying to you. If love is when you totally trust them with all your secrets, all your dark pasts, all your fears and insecurities, all your imperfections, and all of your opinions. If love is when you’re taken by complete surprise every single time when they catch you up in a huge hug, or a tight embrace, or an unexpected kiss, and that surprise turns into a happiness that comes from being wanted, being admired, being special. If love is when that person makes you truly feel like you belong, and that you are nothing short of beautiful to them, in all ways, in any outfit, any bad hair day, any bad day in general, any circumstance.

If all that is being in love, I’m certainly there.

Is he? Can I know that, unless he says so? Should I say so?

It’s something about falling in love, I guess. 

See you when I see you. 
A

No comments:

Post a Comment